THE Community CHALLENGE
We're so excited you want to become a GripTape Community Challenger!
Please note that the Community Challenge is only open to applicants who live in Colorado’s San Luis Valley.
What is the GripTape Community Challenge?
GripTape’s Community Challenge is an opportunity for a group of young people to identify a challenge or opportunity in their local community and decide what they want to do to address it. Youth can pursue one or more projects, and they are in control of what they’ll do as well as when and how it will happen.
How does it work?
Youth have total decision-making authority to design and implement their project(s). GripTape provides an adult to facilitate and coordinate logistics and a $6000 project budget. Each youth who actively takes part will receive a $250 monthly stipend during the program which runs from October 2020–March 2021.
Who can apply?
This program is exclusively available to youth 15–19 years old living in Colorado’s San Luis Valley and who have completed at least one of GripTape’s Challenges, either the Learning Challenge or the Entrepreneur’s Challenge. You must be able to participate throughout the 6-month program.
What would you do with six months, $6,000, and a team of young people like you who are passionate about making a difference in your community?
First, spend some time reflecting about your passions, plans, strengths, and skills. This is an opportunity for you to be on a team of highly motivated and passionate young people, so consider the vision you have for making a difference and what value you add to the team. Then, decide how you want to answer the five application questions. You can write an essay, have an interview, send an email, upload a video, provide a digital link, make a PowerPoint … or whatever you want. It’s totally up to you!
Please note that the Community Challenge is only open to GripTape Challenger alumni in Colorado’s San Luis Valley.
Details and Requirements
- Youth are completely in charge of the project(s).
- Your goals don’t depend on any graded system, so you can think outside the box and do what you think is important.
- The team of youth lead this journey, so no adult is going to tell you what to do or how to do it.
- You have six months to complete your Challenge. Your project(s) must be done by March 30th, 2021.
To apply, you need to be:
- You are between 15 and 19 years old.
- Be a GripTape Challenger Alumni (participated in either the Learning Challenge or Entrepreneur’s Challenge in the past)
- Living in one of these counties in the San Luis Valley, Colorado:
Your application does NOT have to be an essay or written work. You can be as creative as you want. You can share a video, powerpoint, website, sketch, picture, poster, or any other creative medium you come up with!
These five questions are at the heart of your application, so make sure to prepare and answer them beforehand. Your application should respond to these five questions:
1. Tell us about yourself. What are you passionate about? What are your plans for yourself?
2. What was one hurdle you faced during your Learning Challenge or Entrepreneur’s Challenge? Did you overcome it? If so, how?
3. What are some challenges and/or opportunities you see in your community? How would you address them?
4. Why are you interested in being in this program?
5. What skills would you bring to this team?
*Note that you MUST fill out the entire application in one session. You cannot save and go back in, so prepare your answers ahead of time.
Ready to apply? Click here!
Tips and Ideas
You don’t have to be a writer! There are lots of ways to show your passion, goals, and initiative! You can use videos, pictures, songs, poems, drawings … you decide. It’s ALL up to you! Whatever you choose, we want you to be the most authentic version of who you are.